Learn the “Why”
COVID-19 is caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which easily spreads between people mainly when an infected person is in close contact with another person. This novel virus and its new variant recently found in England are highly transmissible.
Three important ways to slow the spread of Covid-19
- Wear a mask to protect yourself and others.
- Stay at least 6 feet from others who don’t live with you.
- Avoid crowds. The more people you are in contact with, the more likely you are to be exposed to the virus.
What experts have to say
YOU MAY BE ASYMPTOMATIC
In March, the WHO published a report, which said (at that point) approximately 80 per cent of Covid-19 infections were mild or asymptomatic, while 15 per cent of cases were deemed “severe”. Since the airborne virus is highly transmissible, a huge portion of the population with no symptoms will are unaware they are spreading the virus like wildfire.
MASKS: THE BEST MEDECINE
According to Pulmonary Medecine Professor Junk Ki-Suck « Mask wearing is the best vaccine». The Korean expert went on to say that if both people in close proximity are wearing a mask, it provides 98.5% protection.
Source: Arirang News
Public Health Agencies & Mask Guidelines
WHO’s latest technical guidance, as of December 1, now recommends a 4-layer mask composed of two layers of 100% cotton and two layers of 100% polypropylene; and warns about stretchable fabric.
– Non-medical fabric masks consisting of two layers of
polypropylene spunbond and two layers of cotton have been
shown to meet the minimum requirements for droplet
filtration and breathability of the CEN CWA 17553 guidance.
– It is preferable not to select elastic material to make masks as
the mask material may be stretched over the face, resulting in
increased pore size and lower filtration through multiple
usage. Additionally, elastic fabrics are sensitive to washing at
high temperatures thus may degrade over time.
Make sure to review the WHO’s Covid-19 Q&A.
CDC recommends that people wear masks in public settings, like on public and mass transportation, at events and gatherings, and anywhere they will be around other people. They also recommend a 2-3 layer masks made of tightly women fabric. The CDC does not recommend the following: one layer mask, masks with exhalation vent, scarf or ski masks, masks made from loosely woven fabric or that are knitted. Gaiters must have 2 layers and face shield must be worn in addition to a face mask.
- Washington State Coronavirus Response (COVID-19) Website
- WA Notify :: Washington State Department of Health Contact Tracing Tool
According to the Secretary of Health Mask Order (July 25, 2020), WA State recommends at least one-layer mask on page 3.
For purpose of this order, a face covering must:
– fit snugly around the sides of the face;
– completely cover the nose and mouth;
– be secured with ties, ear loops, elastics bands, or other equally effective method;
– include at least one layer of cloth, although multiple layers are strongly recommended;
– allow for breathing without restrictions; and
– be capable of being laundered and machine dried without damage or change to shape.